• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

MLB 2021

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
The two no decisions were losses for the Dodgers. The Giants got to the LAD bullpen in those games so we do have an outside shot at this. A long shot but one none the less.
So far so good tonight.

More importantly, the O’s came from behind to win the rubber game in the Bronx. Yes, only important for the Yankees.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
The game just ended ...
Giants got smoked tonight, 6-1. That's all I'll say about it. And it doesn't look too promising tomorrow either. Walker Buehler takes the mound for the Dodgers in the rubber game of the series. Giants haven't beaten him ever. He's 7-0 with a 0.81 WHIP with 63 strikeouts in his career against the SFG. This year, he's 3-0 with two no decisions. His WHIP is 0.823 in those five games with 32 strikeouts.

The two no decisions were losses for the Dodgers. The Giants got to the LAD bullpen in those games so we do have an outside shot at this. A long shot but one none the less.
Baseball. That's why they play it. It ain't no Strat-o-Matic.

Tonight, Walker Buehler 3.0 innings 6 R, 6 ER, 7 H, 1 K, 1 BB 2.667 WHIP. Plus a loss. His first loss and worst outing ever against the Giants.

Giants are back in first place in the NL West. Dodgers are a game back.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Yeah sj1, the Giants and much of the National League always have trouble with those two numbers # 21 and 22 -

First Zack Greinke now Walker Buehler. And of course Clayton Kershaw.

Not feeling the all blue Dodgers uniforms. 🤨

Btw, what's with the LAD and those all dark blue uniforms? Truly not the best. Look like very bad pajamas. Quite laughable.

Though not horrible.

The horrible uniforms are those "jailhouse gray" road uniforms the Diamondbacks wear.

D'Backs jailhouse gray unis.JPG

The Diamondbacks also were guilty of the their "bleeding ankle" home uniforms and with red shoes the blood flowed profusely.

D'Backs bleeding red unis.JPG

Last edited:

sj1

Love & Basketball
When you posted that yesterday about is success I was thinking you never know what can happen. Walker Buehler ever since he came into the league every time I hear his name I picture the image and voice of Ben Stein in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". That is what I had also in my original post but I could not a suitable gif with a small size and from a known site. Dodgers still have no Kershaw and Bauer for like the 8th or 9th time extended his time without playing while MLB investigates him further.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
When you posted that yesterday about is success I was thinking you never know what can happen. Walker Buehler ever since he came into the league every time I hear his name I picture the image and voice of Ben Stein in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". That is what I had also in my original post but I could not a suitable gif with a small size and from a known site. Dodgers still have no Kershaw and Bauer for like the 8th or 9th time extended his time without playing while MLB investigates him further.
You don't expect Walker Buehler to be done by the third inning especially with such a tremendous 2021 he's having. He's probably going to get a Cy Young nomination for this season. And what's with Dave Roberts having him bat in the fourth inning? He struck out. I don't know what he was thinking. Unless he didn't want to waste a pinch hitter at that point. Alex Rodriguez mentioned that. Justin Bruihi replaced him in the fourth inning.

I was was laughing two weeks ago, concerning how ex-SFG AGM (later ex-LAD GM) Ned Colletti (on the pregame Dodger show on SportNetLA against the Mets) was saying how the Dodgers were going to catch and then pass the Giants. How the Dodgers had a much easier schedule. At the time, the Giants had one game left with the A's then games with the Mets, Braves, Brewers, Dodgers, Rockies and ten against the Padres still.

It hasn't happened. And it won't be happening. If you are a fan of any of the NL West baseball clubs (outside of the LAD), you get awfully tired of all the prognosticators and baseball experts and everyone else who is working for the team and in their fanbase saying how great and amazing the Los Angeles Dodgers are because of their winning eleven NL West titles out of the last twenty one seasons since 2000. And eight straight consecutive NL West crowns since 2013.

Their payroll is $217.7 plus million (first in luxury tax). Next team is the Yankees at $192.1 plus million. The top fifteen clubs.

MLB Clubs - payroll rankings.JPG

With Max Scherzer, that number for the LAD is well over $232.4 plus million. (still first in luxury tax) - Scherzer's $34.5 million annual salary is prorated to $14.78 million that the Dodgers will have to pay.

-- Cross the Chicago Cubs (#14) and Washington Nationals (#13) off this list (since the July 31 trade deadline) --

How many World Series titles for the LAD? ... a lone One! (and that's a third of a season Pandemic-Covid 19 shortened "hacked" WS title) - Freaking Bums! :LOL:

Oh and by the way, on that Sunday, August 22, 2021 -- the LAD went out and lost to Marcus Stroman and the Mets, 7-2. The SFG? They had a second come from behind 2-1 victory over the A's on a Donovan Solano pinch hit home run late in the eighth inning.

Edit: the luxury tax is based on the active 26-man roster plus the injured list. In 2021, it starts at $210 million. I had the overall payroll amount originally selected; $267 million for the Los Angeles Dodgers and $203 million for the New York Yankees. That's wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: sj1

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
I saw that half inning ground out by Bellinger and then Buehler struck out. San Diego has just dropped off no hitting or pitching.
The San Diego Padres have allowed the Reds to creep back in. And if the Mets keep winning, the Padres had better watch out.

Jake Cronenworth's walk off HR put them back into sole possession (of the NL wild card berth although they are thirteen games behind the Dodgers.) I wouldn't want to be them come October 6, 2021 (when the NL Wild Card play-in game is either in Los Angeles or in San Francisco.)

Blake Snell, Yu Darvish, Chris Paddock and Ryan Weathers just haven't done what they were supposed to do. Joe Musgrove hasn't performed this half. He had better numbers (plus his no-hitter) before the All-Star Game. Musgrove's 2.87 ERA still leads the Friars staff.

Plus GM A.J. Preller brought in Cubs washout Jake Arrieta who hasn't helped at all. That's because he couldn't get Max Scherzer.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32008888/jake-arrieta-second-stint-chicago-cubs-ends-release

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...e-staying-put-arrietas-crossfire-padres-daily

@sj1 - I hope you can read this.

The top eighteen pitchers on the San Diego Padres staff based on win-loss record (stats updated since Sunday, September 5, 2021)

Top 18 San Diego Padres Pitching 2021.JPG

I should have sorted this by earned run average or innings pitched.

The top eighteen hitters on the San Diego Padres based on home runs hit (stats updated since Sunday, September 5, 2021)

Top 18 San Diego Padres Hitting 2021.JPG

I should have sorted this by batting average or games played.

Last edited:

sj1

Love & Basketball
No need to sort it. Interesting numbers, a lot of pitchers, no real stand out #1. Joe Musgrove looks like their best but 10-8 record not sure how much run support he gets. Surprised at the batting avg., and they strike out a lot compared to walks. Actually their pitching SO/BB ratio is pretty good it seems. But a lot of money put into this team.

Last edited:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
They're playing softball in Colorado ... started 2-0 Giants, then 4-1 Giants, then 8-1 Giants, then 10-2 Giants, now it 10-5 Giants in the 8th.

Max Scherzer won his start in St. Louis for the LAD. His line was 8 IN, 6 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 13 K, 0 BB. 13-4 W-L overall. His 7th start with the LAD, he's 5-0 W-L his ERA is 1.05.

sj1

Love & Basketball
I actually saw highlights and score of the games when I was searching. I am sure Dodgers would be 1st since they traded for him but could San Fran make a run at Scherzer or would it depend on what they did this season. I do not think he will will go back to the Nationals and when they had trade talks he wanted to be traded to a West Coast team. Maybe being from Missouri he would maybe go to St. Louis, says he grew up a Cardinals fan and the drafted him in 2003 in the 43rd round (1,291st overall) But did not sign and instead went to the University of Missouri for 2 years, Diamondbacks drafted him in the 1st round 11 overall in the 2006 Draft, 12/9/2009 Arizona traded him to the Tigers. Yankees were part of this trade who got Curtis Granderson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Scherzer

Last edited:

gmase

They're playing softball in Colorado ... started 2-0 Giants, then 4-1 Giants, then 8-1 Giants, then 10-2 Giants, now it 10-5 Giants in the 8th.
😡 It's not as bad as it used to be when we first moved here in the mid-90s. We split season tickets when Coors initially opened and too many of those games were unbearable.

Baseball. That's why they play it. It ain't no Strat-o-Matic.
I loved that game. Keeping stats on my team results developed life skills which were then passed down. Using a batting average and the number of starts, guessing how many hits the pitcher has? [An easier game at the start of the season. :)] Math fun during baseball games. It confounded the spectators around us.

I should have sorted this by earned run average or innings pitched.

I should have sorted this by batting average or games played.
Nooooooooo ... the adverse impact of teaching kids math at baseball games: now I get to hear about xFIP, BABIP, and DRS.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
I actually saw highlights and score of the games when I was searching. I am sure Dodgers would be 1st since they traded for him but could San Fran make a run at Scherzer or would it depend on what they did this season. I do not think he will will go back to the Nationals and when they had trade talks he wanted to be traded to a West Coast team. Maybe being from Missouri he would maybe go to St. Louis, says he grew up a Cardinals fan and the drafted him in 2003 in the 43rd round (1,291st overall) But did not sign and instead went to the University of Missouri for 2 years, Diamondbacks drafted him in the 1st round 11 overall in the 2006 Draft, 12/9/2009 Arizona traded him to the Tigers. Yankees were part of this trade who got Curtis Granderson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Scherzer

It's too early discuss this. If the Giants or Dodgers win it all, then that may play a big part as to where he signs. Or it may not. It depends. After the season, Max Scherzer becomes an unrestricted free agent. The Giants ownership, Larry Baer, Farhan Zaidi, Scott Harris and their front office will probably be in the mix to get his services. Just like they did with Jon Lester, Zack Greinke, and Bryce Harper. None of those players signed with the team. Though in the past, the Giants have been burned with two long term deals, specifically Barry Zito and Jeff Samardzija. Long term deals can leave a bad taste in one's mouth and the Giants are no exception. But that was with the previous front office and Bobby Evans running the show. I'm sure that the Giants will offer a competitive contract to Scherzer. Sure he can re-sign with the Nationals. And be considered by the Cardinals and Brewers. Though the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays will be players as well. Then he can also consider the other two Southern California teams, the Padres and the Angels. Having Max Scherzer on the Phillies? That's a good possibility too. Even the deep pocketed Mets may determine where he plays in 2022.

Last edited:

gmase

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Nice thing happened the other day on Wednesday in the Cardinals-Dodgers game with Adam Wainwright pitching. Albert Pujols was honored. Yadier Molina is catching and is standing and clapping along with all of the Cardinal fans.

Cards-Dodgers.JPG
Cards-Dodgers2.JPG

The Rox rolled over for the Giants this week - helping SF gain a 2.5 games lead. Things are looking good heading into the final weeks.
Not really. Good teams will do that. Last game on Wednesday was a late inning come from behind victory. Jon Gray pitched really well. This season's Giants team is exceptional. I've never seen a Giants team like this. Like I've been saying all along. First time the Rockies got swept at home this season.

Last edited:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
The last I checked, the Dodgers were winning 5-3 over the D'backs. Dodgers are now a game and a half back. Magic number for the Giants to clinch the NL West is still at 15.

Horrible game last night. Final score was 9-6, but the Giants were trailing all night.

Jarlin Garcia shouldn't be pitching in the major leagues. Dominic Leone can't get anyone out. That's why the Cardinals designated him for assignment. The odd man out here was Zack Littell who had to clean up the mess. They should have started either of the Jose's. Jose Alvarez or Jose Quintana. Quintana has been pitching well for them. I would have gone with Quintana. Though both Alvarez and Quintana gave up the last four runs.

Oh well. The last game against the Padres is this afternoon. Time to re-group.

Last edited:

gmase

Go easy on Jarlin. He is 6-3 with a 2.44 ERA. His FIP is 3.71 and WHIP < 1.00. His last few outings have not been so good though.

I was talking with a Yankees fan yesterday before a meeting and he was lamenting their situation. I told him I could not feel his pain as “my teams are closing in on 300 losses.” The Rockies over performance is making it more of a challenge than originally thought.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
The Giants won on Kevin Gausman's eleventh inning bases loaded sacrifice fly. Brandon Crawford scoring on a wrap around slide at home. Joc Peterson's throw from right field was a bit off the plate. His one bounce throw to Travis d'Arnaud allowed Crawford to slide and get around him.

1000.jpeg

Earlier in the ninth inning, the Braves came back from a 4-2 deficit, and went ahead 5-4 on Travis d'Arnaujd's three run homer. Tyler Rogers just didn't have it. He gave up a two singles, and the home run. Even the first two outs in the inning were hard hit. Donovan Solano hit a clutch solo home run to left field with two outs on a 2-2 count to tie the score at 5.

Big news is that the Giants closer Jake McGee went to the IL with an oblique strain. He could be gone for ten days to two weeks.

And the Dodgers and their ace, Walker Buehler, lost on the road to the Cincinnati Reds. Ex-Dodger shortstop Kyle Farmer had a great game against his former club. A bit of revenge? Maybe. He went 2-3 with a double, a run scored, and two RBIs.

The lead is back up to two games. Magic number for the Giants on clinching the NL West dropped to 13. Dodgers have 14 games left. Giants have 15 games left.

Alex Wood goes up against his old club today. He's back from the Covid IL list. The big lefty has helped out all season. Especially acting as a stopper on losing streaks. Charlie Morton makes the start for the Braves. Morton, after playing for the Pirates, Astros and Rays, is a big Dodger killer. I've always liked his stuff and his command. This should be an awesome game.

Last edited:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Scott Kazmir came back today. The Olympian pitched 4 innings, 1 run, 0 earned runs, 4 hits allowed, 3 strikeouts, 3 walks. He got into trouble in the fifth inning. Camilo Dovel then struck out Manny Machado with the bases loaded and got Tommy Pham to hit into an inning ending double play, Brandon Crawford to Tommy LaStella to Brandon Belt.

Tony Watson was good tonight. He pitched a scoreless eighth inning.

But speaking of the others in the Giants bullpen: Garcia, Leone, and Rogers same old same old. Terrible.

We miss Jake McGee. Big time.

Go easy on Jarlin. He is 6-3 with a 2.44 ERA. His FIP is 3.71 and WHIP < 1.00. His last few outings have not been so good though.

Jarlin Garcia could not get out of the seventh inning. His line tonight 1 and 1/3 innings, 4 hits allowed, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 2 strikeouts, no walks. The hits allowed: he gave up a single to Eric Hosmer (in the sixth inning); he gave up a home run to Fernando Tatis Jr. His 40th home run of the season. A double to Jake Cronenworth. His 30th of the season and he gave up a single to Manny Machado (all in the seventh inning).

Dominic Leone pitched 2/3 of an inning, 2 hits allowed. Tommy Pham doubled. Eric Hosmer singled.

And the ninth .... Pure torture. Tyler Rogers just like Brian Wilson. Yikes!

Tyler Rogers' line tonight: 1 inning, 2 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, 2 walks, a hit batter. No strikeouts.

Giants hold on 8-6 over the Padres. Dodgers lose 10-5 in Colorado. The lead is back up to 2 games in the NL West.

Last edited:

gmase

Jarlin Garcia could not get out of the seventh inning. His line tonight 1 and 1/3 innings, 4 hits allowed, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 2 strikeouts, no walks. The hits allowed: he gave up a single to Eric Hosmer (in the sixth inning); he gave up a home run to Fernando Tatis Jr. His 40th home run of the season. A double to Jake Cronenworth. His 30th of the season and he gave up a single to Manny Machado (all in the seventh inning).
Jarlin has had a terrible run of late. He has given up run in 4 of his last 5 outings. Tony Watson has been reasonable recently.

Your comment about Jake McGee is funny. When he was in Denver, we would cringe every time we heard him get called in. Like many pitchers, he had a terrible run here.

Giants hold on 8-6 over the Padres. Dodgers lose 10-5 in Colorado. The lead is back up to 2 games in the NL West.
Fortunately for you Alex Vesia was worse than Jarlin Garcia last night.

Max Scherzer has a very nice day to pitch today. I saw him mow the Rox down a few years back. Since then he has not been very successful against them though.