• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Other Sports

Smallville22

I can set my own custom title!
Snooker - Selby defeats Dott to win Munich final

Mark Selby edged a 4-3 victory over Graeme Dott to emerge triumphant in the final of the Munich Open on Sunday evening.
The win continues Selby’s excellent form, having regained the world number one last month after winning the UK Championship.
'The Jester from Leicester' broke ahead from the start and before long was leading 2-1, but the match soon turned into a war of attrition as Dott made a phenomenal break of 106 to claim the fourth frame.
An epic 38-minute fifth saw the Scott Dott up 3-2, and seemingly on his way to his first professional title since the 2007 China Open.
Selby wasn’t ready to accept defeat, however, and drew on two excellent breaks of 72 and 90 in the penultimate and deciding frames to secure victory.

Results

Final

Mark Selby 4-3 Graeme Dott

Semi-finals

Mark Selby 4-2 Tian Pengfei

Graeme Dott 4-0 Rod Lawler

Quarter-finals

Graeme Dott 4-3 Ben Woollaston

Tian Pengfei 4-2 Martin Gould

Mark Selby 4-0 Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon

Rod Lawler 4-3 Kurt Maflin

Smallville22

World Darts Championship - Sweet 16 For Taylor

PHIL TAYLOR came from two sets down to claim the World Darts Championship title with a thrilling 7-4 defeat of Michael van Gerwen as he became the first winner of the Sid Waddell Trophy at Alexandra Palace on New Year's Day.
The 52-year-old Stoke great emerged victorious in one of the sport's great matches to win his 16th World Championship title, although he was pushed all the way by a brilliant van Gerwen performance.
The Dutch ace, 23, led 2-0 and 4-2, but missed two chances to move 5-2 up before Taylor hit back by winning three successive sets to move ahead for the first time at 5-4.
Taylor then won the tenth set 3-1 to establish a two-set cushion for the first time, before going on to take his fifth successive set as he swept to the title.
"I'm the proudest man in the world at the moment and to have my family watching makes this a very special night," said Taylor, who takes away a £200,000 first prize for his efforts.
"It's not sunk in yet and I'm very emotional.
"There was a 180 when the crowd were singing Sid Waddell's name and I looked up and thought he'd put that in for me, and also Bruce Spendley [who refereed the final] was retiring too and him being on stage at the end meant a lot to me.
"I'm World Champion again and I'm so happy now."

Van Gerwen had knocked out defending champion Adrian Lewis and hit a nine-darter against world number three during his run to the final, which sees him move to a career-high fourth in the PDC Order of Merit after taking £100,000 as runner-up.
"I don't think I played as well tonight as I did in my earlier games," said van Gerwen. "My doubles were great but my scoring power wasn't as good and I think that was the difference.
"I felt great but it didn't happen and it's disappointing after having a good run that I didn't finish the job off.
"I missed two doubles to lead 5-2 and that hurt me, and Phil got more confident and played better as the game went on.
"It's a nice achievement to reach the final but it hurts to lose."
He added: "I would like to thank the crowd for their incredible support over the last couple of weeks. They have added to what has been a very special time for me"
Van Gerwen began his first World Championship final confidently with a 14-dart finish in the opening leg, before Taylor levelled in amazing fashion by converting a 170 checkout to bring the capacity Alexandra Palace crowd to its feet.
The World Grand Prix champion hit double eight to win the third leg before Taylor won the fourth, thanks to landing double seven with a pressure third dart, and was waiting on 85 in the decider when van Gerwen powered in a fantastic 140 checkout to win the set.
Taylor won the first leg of set two by taking out 68, before van Gerwen took the second, which was followed by an 11-dart finish from the Dutchman as he moved 2-1 up before confirming a two-set advantage on double 16.
Van Gerwen then opened the third set in fine style with another 11-dart finish, and after Taylor levelled on tops the Dutchman took out a clinical 123 finish on the bull.
Taylor refused to buckle to his opponent and then won the fourth leg before sealing the set in the fifth, thanks to an accurate third dart at double 16 as he got off the mark.
Van Gerwen, who defeated James Wade to reach the final, kicked off the fourth set with a 177, before taking the opening leg with a 127 checkout before Taylor levelled in 14 darts and hit a 180 as he won the third.
Van Gerwen hit a 14-dart finish of his own to win the fourth leg, but a missed dart at tops for a 3-1 lead allowed Taylor hit the same bed to level the game.
Van Gerwen began the fifth set by taking the first leg on double eight, before Taylor hit a 13-dart finish to win the second, followed by a two-dart 65 finish to break.
The fourth leg saw Taylor miss a dart at double top to win the set, and van Gerwen took out a 90 finish, on double 14, to level before taking out 70 in the decider to move ahead for the second time.
The Dutch superstar made a fine start to the sixth set as he posted back-to-back 13-darters to take command, and after Taylor hit back with a 74 checkout it was van Gerwen won took out another 13-dart finish, on double 18, to restore a two-set lead.
The pair shared the opening two legs of the seventh set before van Gerwen landed double nine for an 83 finish in the third, after Taylor was off-target with a dart at bullseye.
Van Gerwen missed a chance to win the set in the fourth, when he was off-target on double 19 for a 158 checkout to allow Taylor back in to level on double four.
The fifth leg saw van Gerwen off-target with a second chance to win the set - this time on double 16 as he missed the chance to lead 5-2 - and Taylor took out 51 in two darts to stay on the Dutchman's tail.
Four missed doubles from Taylor proved costly as van Gerwen hit double top to make a winning start to the eighth set, but the Stoke legend erased those errors in the next with a 136 checkout.
Taylor then won the third leg on double eight before van Gerwen hit a brace of 140 scores to forge ahead in the fourth, only to miss a dart at double top to allow Taylor in on double three to level the match at four sets all.
Van Gerwen hit a 13-dart finish to kick off the ninth set before Taylor won the second leg with a fabulous 11-darter.
Van Gerwen won the third on double top after both players had missed a dart at the same bed, before Taylor posted his second 11-darter of the set to win the fourth leg before taking the decider in only 14 darts to move ahead for the first time at 5-4.
Taylor continued his momentum in the tenth set as he won the first two legs, which included another 11-dart finish, as he extended his winning run to four successive legs.
He missed a dart at double 16 for the set in the next before van Gerwen finished 106 to hit back but Taylor finished 68 in the fourth leg to move a set away from the title.
Van Gerwen hit tops for a 13-dart finish to make a positive start to set 11, before Taylor won the second, finishing on the same bed for a 12-darter.
Taylor missed three darts at doubles in the third leg, but van Gerwen wasted four of his own and the Stoke ace hit double nine to move to the brink of victory, and he forged ahead with a 174 score in the next before taking out 91 to claim triumph in a classic final.
"I was two 2-0 and 4-2 down and I started looking up to the heavens for Sid Waddell to help me out, but Michael was playing superbly and he just wasn't missing," admitted Taylor.
"I was trying to push Michael to the limit and put him under pressure. He is a truly phenomenal player and I give Michael every credit - there were times when he hit some fantastic finishes and it crippled me a little bit.
"He was miles in front but I kept clinging on and I began hitting 177s when they had been 139s earlier in the game - I was hitting the treble 19 probably better than I did the treble 20."
Van Gerwen's rise to fourth in the PDC Order of Merit means that he will now compete in the McCoy's Premier League Darts
"I'm in the top four of the world and I'm very happy," said van Gerwen. "I've done that by myself with my good results this year and
"I am very excited about this opportunity and I hope to play well in the Premier League."

Smallville22

Kopecky triumphs in Austria

ŠKODA driver Jan Kopecký took his second consecutive victory on the Jännerrallye in Austria, round one of the new-look European Rally Championship by just half a second after a dramatic final day – with the winner only decided on the very last stage.
Kopecký started Saturday’s eight stages with a 20-second advantage over the Peugeot of Bryan Bouffier, but heavy rain and some ice made today’s route around Freistadt extremely tricky, and the Czech driver concentrated on just getting to the finish in front of 120,000 spectators.
His fortunes were turned on their head when he picked up a front-left puncture around seven kilometres from the finish of stage 15, which dropped him to third with only three stages to go. Bouffier, competing on his first Jännerrallye, took the lead despite spinning on the same stage.
However, Kopecký pushed as hard as he could to start the final 25-kilometre stage 10.6 seconds adrift of Bouffier. He emerged from it with a winning margin of 11.1 seconds, ensuring that he scraped to victory by just half a second in heavy rain and fog in his Michelin-shod Fabia Super 2000.
“I never stopped believing I could win because if you stop believing you cannot achieve anything,” said Kopecký at the finish after the epic day-long battle. “I was still believing and still hoping. Thanks to Bryan for an incredible battle and to the team for a great car. Pavel [Dresler], my co-driver, also did a great job so thanks to him.”
Bouffier settled for second, a result he hadn’t anticipated heading into the Austrian event, given his lack of experience of the undulating stages. “The conditions on this event were really tricky, some of the most demanding that I have ever seen,” said Bouffier, who scored seven bonus points for topping leg two.
For much of the rally Bouffier battled with local hero Raimund Baumschlager, a 10-time Austrian champion. After a big moment in his self-run Fabia on the opening stage of the day that nearly put him out, the 53-year-old decided that discretion was the better part of valour in the treacherous conditions. He then concentrated on scoring points for his domestic championship.

TOP 10 POSITIONS (after 18 stages, 248.34 kilometres)

1 Jan Kopecký (CZE)/Pavel Dresler (CZE) ŠKODA Fabia S2000 2h35m45.3s

2 Bryan Bouffier (FRA)/Olivier Fournier (FRA) Peugeot 207 S2000 +0.5s

3 Raimund Baumschlager (AUT)/Klaus Wicha (DEU) ŠKODA Fabia S2000 +1m18.1s

4 Václav Pech (CZE)/Peter Uhel (CZE) MINI John Cooper Works S2000 +2m47.0s

5 Beppo Harrach (AUT)/Leopold Welsersheimb (AUT) Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX R4 +3m31.8s

6 Kajetan Kajetanowicz (POL)/Jarosław Baran (POL) Subaru Impreza STI R4 +3m32.9s

7 François Delecour (FRA)/Dominique Savignoni (FRA) Peugeot 207 S2000 +5m21.2s

8 Jaroslav Orsák (CZE)/David Šmeidler (CZE) Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX +6m33.7s

9 Jaromír Tarabus (CZE)/Daniel Trunkát (CZE) ŠKODA Fabia S2000 +7m56.0s

10 Pavel Valoušek (CZE)/Lukáš Kostka (CZE) Peugeot 207 S2000 +8m11.8s

Smallville22

Snooker - Robertson edges Ding in Masters thriller

Neil Robertson avoided becoming the latest defending champion to tumble out of the Masters in the first round a year after winning the invitational event as he claimed the final three frames to complete a rousing 6-5 win over Ding Junhui at London's Alexandra Palace.
2010 winner Mark Selby lost 6-4 to Mark King in the last 16 two years ago while Ding himself was emptied out 6-4 by Ronnie O'Sullivan in his first match as the Chinese player failed to defend the tournament he won in 2011.
Former world champion Robertson looked to be heading the same way, but the Australian somehow rallied to see off Ding before a capacity crowd of 1300 that witnessed three centuries from an engrossing affair.
Ding always carried an assured air about his play as two centuries helped him recover from trailing 2-0 and 3-2 but Robertson produced an immaculate run of 90 in the deciding frame to retain his hopes of becoming only the fourth man to win the event in successive years.
It prompted a cry of "You beauty" by Robertson. You couldn't blame him.
“I’ve been a bit frustrated with how things have gone for me at the last few tournaments losing to Judd (Trump) at the International Championship and Mark (Selby) at the UK Championship," said Robertson. “I just felt things hadn’t gone my way in matches. At 5-3 when Ding didn’t land on the red he needed for the win, that was my one chance. It was a bit of luck going my way, and I certainly unleashed the fury at the end. “I think it is good. (Roger) Federer and (Novak) Djokovic show emotion when they win a big point in tennis, or Tiger Woods when he rolls in a putt to win a major. I think it is good for sport to show a lot of passion.”
Robertson dominated the opening frame as Ding saw a white drop in a middle bag after the Melbourne man had missed an attempted plant on a red. Robertson returned to the table to produce 76 for a 1-0 lead.
The second frame was a closer encounter, but Robertson sneaked it by seeing a double on the penultimate red fall down a hole before clearing to the pink to move two frames to the good. He celebrated with some intensity by punching his fists in the air as if aware of the importance of winning such a close frame, but it seemed to be a strangely premature outburst of joy at such an early stage.
Robertson left Ding in trouble in the third frame as he collected 15 points in fouls as his opponent three times failed to escape from a snooker. Ding finally hit the red at the fourth attempt, but Robertson failed to capitalise as he snookered himself on an easy red to a middle bag after potting the blue for a 22-0 lead. His failure to produce the required safety shot proved costly as Ding slotted a longish red before compiling 103 to close to 2-1 behind.
Ding would restore parity at 2-2 with a knock of 53 proving too much for Robertson's powers of recovery.
A safety error by Ding early in the fifth frame handed Robertson the chance to record a run of 46 before he returned to the table to add 24 for a 3-2 advantage.
With the tension mounting with every passing frame, Robertson somehow managed to pot a black hanging over a top pocket in trying to play safe off a red. Ding stepped in with an imperious run of 127 more than enough to see him level again at 3-3.
Both men had chances in a scrappy seventh frame, but Ding produced a brave pot on the penultimate red on his way to a closing 42 that saw him lead for the first time in the match.
Robertson was suddenly swimming against the tide as he saw a black creep out when it looked likelier to drop to a baulk pocket. Ding held himself together superbly well as a 54 knock carried him one frame from the last eight.
Robertson responded in a glorious fashion with a run of 100 enabling him to close to 5-4 behind.
Ding seemed likely to polish matters off when he made a run of 50 in the 11th frame only to run out of position in splitting the reds off the blue. Robertson steeled himself to clear to the pink with a 62 to force the deciding frame before an early safety error by Ding enabled Robertson to make a frame and match-winning run of 90.
“He was a bit unlucky in making 50 and running out of position," said Robertson. "If the white runs on another inch, it is all over. “They’re fixing the table now, but I’ve lost two frames because of the table with balls running away the pockets. Other than that, I thought it was a great match between two former champions." Robertson will face Mark Allen in the last eight.

Smallville22

Snooker - Allen sets up Robertson clash at Masters

Mark Allen will face defending champion Neil Robertson in the Masters quarter-finals after the Northern Irishman completed a 6-2 win over a misfiring Mark Davis at London's Alexandra Palace.
The potentially mouthwatering meeting between Allen and Robertson on Thursday will be their third at the 16-man invitational tournament over the past three years.
Allen enjoyed a 6-4 win over Robertson in the 2011 quarter-finals at Wembley Arena with the Australian completing a 6-3 victory in the first round on his way to winning last year's event.
Robertson progressed earlier in the day with a 6-5 win over Ding Junhui.
"I'm ready to win any tournament. My results of late haven't been great, but I'm just glad to get over the line," said Allen.
"I seen the end of Neil's win over Ding earlier today. Ding was a bit unfortunate not to split the reds to win the match, but Neil showed what a great player he is and how much bottle has to come through.
"Hopefully, I won't give him the same chances against me. We always have pretty close matches, but it is up to me to go out there and play my own game."
Allen made a brilliant start to the evening against Davis as he watched his opponent break off before rolling in a long red and compiling an absorbing knock of 136.
Hastings potter Davis - making only his second appearance at the tournament a decade after he lost 6-5 to Alan McManus in the first round - responded with 62 to level at 1-1 only for Allen to dominate a scrappy third frame in moving 2-1 clear.
A couple of efforts in the 40s was good enough for Davis to level at 2-2 heading for the mid-session interval as four frames passed in less than an hour.
Davis missed a tough red to a middle in the fifth frame after Allen had himself failed to slot an ambitious cut on a red to a middle bag. With the reds wide open, Allen compiled 79 for a 3-2 advantage.
The sixth frame found Davis wanting again as he ran out of position after Allen had missed a black off the spot at pace. Allen pieced together 42 before a terrific pot on a red to a middle hole handed him a two-frame lead for the first time in the match.
Davis had chances to claw back to 4-3 in the next frame, but he broke down on 35 in jawing a pink before failing to hole the tricky final red at pace along the top cushion. Allen cleared to the pink to move within one frame of victory.
Another Davis error early in the eighth frame enabled Allen to compile an 80 to complete the victory.
"I missed one or two tricky ones after the interval," said Davis. "You can't afford to do that with Mark hitting the ball so well. I enjoyed it out there, but it wasn't to be.
"He played well. I was delighted to be here, but hope to get back next year."

Smallville22

BDO World Darts: Scott Waites thrashes Tony O'Shea in final
Scott Waites eased to his first BDO World Darts Championship title with a 7-1 demolition of Tony 'The Silverback' O'Shea at Frimley Green.

The 35-year-old Yorkshireman dominated the all-English affair from the outset.
Waites raced into a 5-0 lead before O'Shea briefly rallied to trail 5-1 at the break. Waites then took out 110 with a double 16 to seal victory.
Crowd favourite O'Shea, 51, struggled to hit the heights of earlier rounds as he lost his third Lakeside final.
Both players had shown impressive form during their respective passages to the final, but it was Waites who got off to a flying start, winning 12 of the first 16 legs to storm into a 5-0 lead. The man they call 'Scotty Too Hotty' allowed his opponent just one shot at a double in the first four sets.
O'Shea eventually stemmed the tide, halting a run of ten straight losing legs before breaking the Waites throw for the first time in the sixth set to reduce the deficit to 5-1.
The Silverback then took out 158 in the eighth set, the highest checkout of the evening, but Waites comfortably secured the final two sets to close out the match 7-1.
The Bradford-born thrower's margin of victory was the largest in a Lakeside final since the introduction of the best-of-13 sets format in 2006. All seven finals since then had finished either 7-6 or 7-5, so the one-sided encounter was something of a disappointment for the capacity crowd.
Speaking to BBC Sport's Colin Murray after the match, newly crowned champion Waites said: "All I tried to do was battle my way to a few sets in front. It was so hot up there, very difficult to hold the darts.
"Tony didn't look like his normal self. Winning this is what everyone aspires to and I can't believe I've won at the Lakeside.
"The crowd have been fantastic and I know they wanted Tony to win. I'm going to enjoy this, lap it up. I've got a day off work tomorrow."
A downcast O'Shea, whose latest defeat in the final follows those in 2009 and 2012, said: "I was slow out of the blocks and Scott just did what he does.
"He played superbly, dead steady. I didn't give him a game, it just wasn't there tonight. I felt good going on to the stage and, as usual, the crowd were behind me. I'm just gutted I couldn't give them the night they wanted, I'm more gutted for them than me."

Smallville22

Snooker - Higgins hits back to sink Carter at Masters

John Higgins recovered from losing the first two frames to usurp Ali Carter 6-3 in the Masters first round at London's Alexandra Palace.
Higgins - world champion in 1998, 2007, 2009 and 2011 - strangely does not have the best of records at the invitational tournament despite winning it twice in 1999 and 2006 with a string of losses in the first round blighting his record.
He looked likely to endure another afternoon of hardship after falling behind early on against the two-time world championship finalist Carter.
Scotsman Higgins somehow contrived to lose the opening frame of the afternoon when he missed a simple black along the top cushion to leave Carter needing a snooker having made 59 and holding a 63-0 lead.
His opponent cut a composed figure in controlling the white ball to some effect in mopping up with a 64 to pinch the frame by a solitary point.
Carter somehow managed to snatch the second frame after gleaning the two snookers he required on the colours as Higgins hit the pink attempting to nudge the brown before missing the brown as he swerved past the black.
Higgins fluked a snooker behind the blue seconds later, but watched as Carter managed to escape from the snooker and hole the brown.
With tension mounting, Carter held himself together to claim the frame with a cool pot on a black from distance after both men had failed to sink the black.
Carter was first among the balls in the third frame of the day, but missing a red on 21 proved fatal as Higgins showed his class with a run of 117 ensuring him of his first frame of the day.
Breaks of 44 and 46 saw Higgins head for his cup of tea at the mid-session interval level at 2-2 when he could easily have led 4-0.
Carter was left spectating in the fifth frame as he failed to pot a ball with Higgins dominant in constructing a 3-2 advantage.
Carter had gone over 40 minutes without potting a ball and his anxiety was illustrated by an attempt at a long red that was hit too hard in the sixth frame.
Higgins stepped in with a 97 to snare his fourth straight frame for a 4-2 lead.
He looked on the cusp of a 5-2 advantage having erected a 38-0 lead, but a red eluded him to a middle bag when he seemed set for another heavy contribution.
Carter potted his first ball in just under an hour before proceeding to make 83 to half the bleeding and trail 4-3.
The eighth frame was far from memorable, but Higgins emerged on the right side of several safety duels to establish a 5-3 lead.
He completed the win when Carter broke down on 54 as a couple of misses on reds to a middle pocket proved fatal.
Higgins cleared with a 65 to finish matters off.
He will face last year's Masters finalist Shaun Murphy or Ricky Walden in the last eight and was content to keep alive his pursuit of a third Masters title.
"I could have lost 6-0 or been a 6-1 loser after losing the first two frames so I was just trying to stay positive. I've never had the best of records at this tournament as a professional," said Higgins.
"I'm happy to be through. It is seven years since I played Ronnie (O'Sullivan) in the final. I still remember it. I'm a bit fatter with a few more grey hairs as years of playing snooker take their toll.
"The crowd were very good today, and I still think this venue is better than the Wembley Arena." Carter, watched by former world champion and friend Peter Ebdon, was not feeling in peak condition due to his ongoing struggles with Crohn's disease.
He is not overly concerned with his form, despite losing after collecting the first two frames. Carter has hinted at retirement in previous years.
"I'm disappointed. A 2-0 lead is still early days against John. I'm naturally disappointed, but I don't really target this tournament. It is just a tournament I have never really done well in.
"I'm not in the best of conditions healthwise. That is a work in progress really. But I'm looking forward to the rest of the season."

Smallville22

Dott edges out Maguire at Masters

Stephen Maguire paid the price for a fit of pique as he was edged out 6-5 by fellow Scot Graeme Dott in the Masters first round at Alexandra Palace.
Maguire conceded with enough points available to win the eighth frame after missing a red as he fell 5-3 behind. Runs of 56 and 131 saw him level at 5-5, but Dott did enough to scramble over the line in the final frame just before midnight to secure a match against Judd Trump or Barry Hawkins in the last eight on Friday.
"I thought all the way through the match: 'there is no way I'm winning this," said the 2006 world champion Dott. "I've lost a few 6-5s here, and I thought it was going to happen to me again.
"I'm ecstatic to be through. I will need to play better than tonight to win the tournament, but I have a chance if I keep feeling the way I'm feeling. My game is a lot better."
Dott won the first frame in 33 minutes aided by a solid enough 61 after Maguire had spread the reds with a poor safety shot.
Larkhall's Dott then ran in a 69 to move two frames clear with his opponent continuing to falter at key moments.
Maguire - the 2004 UK champion - finally clicked into gear in the third frame as a knock of 110 saw him close to 2-1 behind.
Both men had opportunities in the fourth frame, but Maguire was suddenly appearing the more composed of the two players as a closing 41 helped him level at 2-2.
A missed attempt at a longish red by a faltering Dott saw Maguire compile 65 for a third successive frame and a 3-2 lead.
But Dott was quick to halt the bleeding as he produced a dominant performance in the sixth frame to level at 3-3 before an excellent 92 break saw him move 4-3 clear.
The frustration of the evening was getting to Maguire as he conceded the next frame after missing an easy red with Dott leading 51-15.
There was enough points available for Maguire to mount a recovery as the red mist descended.
He will be fined £250 by World Snooker for conceding with enough points available to win the frame.
"You can normally tell with Stephen when he starts to bubble," added Dott. "I wasn't sure that he had conceded the frame as people are getting fined now for doing it. But it didn't really affect him afterwards as he played like a machine. It is just the way he is."
Maguire steadied himself as a 56 saw him claw back to within one frame at 5-4 behind before an immaculate run of 131 saw him level at 5-5 after holing a lovely red to get the break started.
Both men had chances in the deciding frame, but it was Dott who held himself together as Maguire left himself needing snookers when he unfortunately saw a pink drop in trying to play safe.
Dott holed a double on the green moments later to ensure his progress.
"I can't think of a more horrible way to lose a match because the shot Stephen has played is a great shot. And he has got me in all sorts of trouble if the pink doesn't go in," said Dott.
"Obviously, you are glad to win, but you would rather win a different way. We are good friends, and it is a horrible way to lose."

Smallville22

Gymnastics - Rhythmic queen Kanaeva quits her sport

Double Olympic champion Evgeniya Kanaeva has decided to end her competitive career in rhythmic gymnastics although she will still play an active role in her sport.
The 22-year-old Siberian claimed her second Olympic title in London last August when she became the first rhythmic gymnast to win back-to-back individual Olympic all-around golds.
Kanaeva, who also won 17 world titles including three all-around crowns, has dominated her sport since leading Russia to the 2007 world championship gold in the team competition at the age of 17.
She first hinted that she was considering quitting last month when she was unanimously elected vice-president of the sport's governing body in Russia to assist her long-time mentor and Russian rhythmic gymnastics federation chief Irina Viner.

Smallville22

Snooker - Masterful Trump comeback sees off Hawkins

Judd Trump changed shoes to leave Barry Hawkins down at the heel as he won the final three frames to compete a frantic 6-5 win in the Masters first round.
Pre-tournament favourite Trump strode out at Alexandra Palace sporting a pair of garish Christian Louboutin designer shoes, apparently worth over £1500, that had spikes sticking out of them more suitable to a James Bond villain than a snooker player.
He changed into an old pair after levelling the match at 1-1 as his new shoes proved 'too slippery', but Hawkins was more interested in giving Trump the slip at the table.
Breaks of 83, 109, 85 and 61 carried the Kent player into a 5-3 lead, but Trump produced some composed snooker to level as Hawkins missed glaring chances to complete the win in the 10th frame.
With the tension palpable, Trump snared the deciding frame with a run of 107 after Hawkins had made a mess of breaking off.
He will meet 2006 world champion Graeme Dott in the last eight on Friday.
Trump managed to get himself 34-0 clear in the opening frame only to break down as a positional shot went wrong. After making several errors, it was Hawkins who recovered strongly to move 1-0 ahead.
The world number two opened with a 57 in the second frame, but almost presented Hawkins with the chance to move two frames clear.
Leading by 23 points with 22 left up, Trump somehow managed to hole the white playing safe off the brown.
Hawkins slotted brown, blue and pink, but a poor safety shot on the black saw Trump cut in a glorious black to a middle bag to level at 1-1.
Trump changed his shoes after the second frame but Hawkins did not notice as a fine 83 helped him move 2-1 clear after his opponent had slipped up, so to speak, early in the frame. Trump responded with a lovely 99 to leave matters finely poised at the mid-session interval.
Hawkins was first among the balls in the fifth frame, but failure to split the reds on 37 forced him to play safe.
Trump stepped in with run of 73 to move 3-2 clear only for Hawkins to respond with a 109 to restore parity at 3-3.
The Bristolian had the first chance in the seventh frame, but a flawed positional shot on 41 simply provided Hawkins with fresh impetus as an impeccable knock of 85 carried the Kent player 4-3 clear.
Trump was forced to sit and suffer some more in the eighth frame as a 61 carried Hawkins to the cusp of the last eight. But his response was to emerge from his chair and record a magnificent effort of 105 despite Hawkins doing little wrong in the ninth frame.
Hawkins should have completed a 6-4 win, but crucial misses on a black to a middle pocket and a stun shot on the final blue with the tension mounting enabled world number two Trump to return to the table to slot blue and pink in forcing the deciding 11th frame that he would win.

Smallville22

Ryder Cup - McGinley named Europe's Ryder Cup captain

Ireland's Paul McGinley has been named captain of Europe's 2014 Ryder Cup team for the biennial match against the United States next year.
The 46-year-old, who holed the winning putt in the 2002 match at The Belfry, edged former skipper Colin Montgomerie in a vote taken by the 15-man committee in Abu Dhabi.
Committee chairman Thomas Bjorn said five names were discussed, McGinley, 2010 captain Colin Montgomerie, Paul Lawrie, Miguel Angel Jimenez and Sandy Lyle.
"This is a position I'm really thrilled to be in. It's also a very humbling experience and I can't wait to get into the role of captain and to working with the players," a misty-eyed McGinley said.
"I'm just delighted it's happened and that the cards fell right for me. I think it's very important to have a captain that is still involved regularly as a player on the tour and that's what I plan on doing for the next 18 months until the match."
McGinley replaced Spain's Jose Maria Olazabal, the inspiration behind Europe's remarkable comeback victory in Illinois in September.
He thanked players like world number one Rory McIlroy, third-ranked Luke Donald and last year's Ryder Cup hero Ian Poulter for their public support in the lead-up to the captaincy vote for the 2014 match at Gleneagles, Scotland.
"Paul McGinley 2014 European Ryder Cup captain!!!," McIlroy said on his Twitter account. "Couldn't be happier for him... roll on Gleneagles."
McIlroy was standing up at the back of the room as McGinley made his acceptance speech.
"I'm very fortunate Rory, Ian and Graeme McDowell played under me as a Seve Trophy captain," said the Irishman.
"If there is a good structure on the tour, it is with the Seve Trophy and with the legacy of that tournament.
"Seve was a guy I knew very well. I played under Monty, Jose Maria and Seve in team events so I've been fortunate with the experience I've gained under those captains.
"I have a real passion for team golf and I love it. I love everything that goes with team golf."
McGinley has twice been a Ryder Cup vice-captain, to Montgomerie in Wales in 2010 and to Olazabal two years later.
He served his apprenticeship as a skipper when he led Britain and Ireland to victory over Continental Europe in the Seve Trophy team event in 2009 and 2011.
McGinley played in three Ryder Cups, from 2002-06, and was triumphant each time.
A winner of four European Tour titles, his best campaign was in 2005 when he finished runner-up three times before lifting the season-ending Volvo Masters crown.
In recent times, Europe have taken the view that the Ryder Cup captain should serve for one match only, an approach that was always likely to give McGinley an advantage over chief rival Montgomerie.
"We discussed all the candidates thoroughly but the committee was 100 percent behind this captain," Bjorn said. "It was clear in the meeting room very early which way we wanted to go.
"We listened to the players and we made the right decision. As a captain I think he will bring this tour even more closely together - he's one of us."
McGinley will be up against eight-times major winner Tom Watson who skippers the U.S. in 2014.
"I congratulate Paul McGinley upon his selection as the next European Ryder Cup captain and anticipate his passion and love of the event will transfer to being an outstanding leader of his team," Watson said in a statement.
"Paul is an outstanding representative of European golf. I look forward to sharing the stage with him as we make our journey to Scotland."

Smallville22

Snooker - Murphy fends off Walden to secure Higgins match

Shaun Murphy survived a minor scare in the Masters first round as he fended off a Ricky Walden recovery before emerging a 6-4 winner at Alexandra Palace.
Murphy - the former world and UK champion - watched Walden recover from 4-1 behind to level at 4-4 before snaring the final two frames to finish matters off.
He will face John Higgins in the quarter-finals on Thursday night a year after he downed the Scotsman 6-4 in the last four of the invitational tournament.
Murphy established a 3-1 lead against Walden at the mid-session interval without ever playing at the peak of the powers that helped him reach the final of this tournament a year ago.
A run of 79 saw the 2005 world champion trouser the opening frame of the evening before moving two frames clear after Walden somehow missed what seemed like a routine black late in the second frame
Walden was the dominant force in the third frame, but could not maintain the momentum as a missed red with the rest in the fourth frame saw him squander a 35-1 advantage.
Murphy recovered strongly to move within three frames of the last eight aided by a wonderfully crafted pot on a red along the top cushion.
The match continued to fall away from Walden in the fifth frame as he botched his break-off shot to allow Murphy the chance to compile an immaculate 130 for a 4-1 advantage.
Murphy appeared to be cruising to a 5-1 lead, but he was penalised for running fractionally out of position holding a 41-0 advantage.
He jawed a tough cut on a red as Walden put together his best break of the night by some margin as a 55 clearance to the pink helped him claw back to 4-2 adrift.
Murphy suffered a spot of déjà vu in the seventh frame as he broke down on 47 after his attempt to split the reds from the blue failed.
Walden responded with a 49, but Murphy blew another chance to regain a three-frame advantage as he inexplicably missed a cut on a green after swerving the white to hole the final red.
Walden cleared to the pink to close to within one frame of his opponent to trail 4-3.
Murphy began the eighth frame by ramming in a plant on a red only to miss a fine cut on the black by some distance.
Walden was clearly warming to the task as he ran in 65 to draw level at 4-4.
The Chester man was first among the balls in the ninth frame, but could not make a telling contribution with a 43 and 38 from Murphy enough to halt the Walden winning run.
Murphy finally stumbled over the line by claiming the tenth frame. Walden got the snooker he needed after Murphy missed a simple black, but the tomfoolery continued on the colours.
The match seemed destined to end in bizarre circumstances with Walden calling a foul on himself after his shirt touched the black playing a shot on the final blue.
Walden had needed blue, pink and black to forced a re-spotted black, but Murphy holed the blue to finally end the evening in his favour.

Smallville22

Athletics - Grand Prix circuit for disabled athletes planned

An international Grand Prix circuit for elite athletes with disabilities will be launched in April by the International Paralympic Committee.
The Independent on Sunday said the IPC's version of the able-bodied Diamond League will comprise eight meetings at venues around the world with two, including the final, to be held in Britain.
"It's a massive development," Sophia Warner, the 2012 Paralympian in her new role as commercial director of UK Athletics, was quoted as saying.
Aled Davies, the Welshman who won discus gold and a shot put bronze in the F42 category at last year's London Olympics, added: "It's incredible news. This is just what we need."
The IPC was not immediately available for comment.

Smallville22

Equestrianism - Longines new World Cup partner

Longines will replace Jaeger LeCoultre and Rolex as the official showjumping World Cup partner.
As of January 15, the Swiss watchmaker - already heavily involved in equestrian sports - will become the main sponsor of the International Equestrian Federation.
In Lausanne, Her Royal Highness Princess Haya, president of the FEI, and Nayla Hayek, chairman of the Swatch group which ownsLongines, will make the partnership official.
Longines will also become official timekeeper of the series and provide the official watch.
"It is the beginning of a new era for our sport and the FEI," Princess Haya said. "Longines always had a strong presence in our community and our new partnership is a real celebration of a common passion.
"This long term partnership with Longines will revolutionise the way we can promote our sport throughout all our disciplines."
Longines will also replace Jaeger LeCoultre as title sponsor for the Global Champions Tour.
The brand is already involved with Indoor Grand Slam, the next leg of which is the Longines Hong Kong Masters in early March.

Smallville22

Rugby - Six Nations - Five uncapped players in Wales squad

Injury-hit Wales have named five uncapped players in a 35-man squad for the defence of their Six Nations championship title which gets underway next month.
Unable to call on locks Alun Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris and Bradley Davies through injury, interim coach Rob Howley called up James King and Andrew Coombs for the first time.
Back-row forwards Josh Navidi and Andries Pretorius were also selected, along with wing Eli Walker.
Born in Nelspruit, South Africa, Cardiff Blues captain Pretorius qualifies on residency.
Wales, who won a third Six Nations Grand Slam in eight years last season but have since lost seven successive games, welcome back influential prop Adam Jones and fellow front-rower Craig Mitchell from injury.
Jones missed all four of Wales' November and December internationals because of a knee injury, as did full-back Lee Byrne who also returns.
With fly-half Rhys Priestland missing the entire Six Nations through injury after rupturing his Achilles tendon, Dan Biggar and James Hook will vie for the start at half-back in their opening match at home to Ireland on February 2.
Sam Warburton will captain a side that is also shorn of the services of flanker Dan Lydiate (ankle), prop Aaron Jarvis (knee) and hooker Huw Bennett (Achilles').
"We have put together a very experienced squad and complimented that by rewarding the in-form players with a call-up," Howley, standing in for Warren Gatland who has stepped aside to concentrate on his duties as British and Irish Lions head coach, said in a statement.
"The players in the squad have been playing really well and we have been pleased with their individual performances.
"We have a group of players who know how to win big matches and have experienced success. We are adding to that, players who have stood out and performed well for the regions this season."
After winning the Grand Slam, Wales were beaten in three Tests by Australia in June and have since lost at home to Argentina, Samoa, New Zealand and Australia again.
They paid a heavy price for those defeats, dropping into the third tier of seeds for last month's 2015 Rugby World Cup draw when they were paired in the toughest group, alongside Australia and England and two other nations yet to be decided.
Scarlets coach and former international Mark Jones has joined Howley's coaching team as assistant coach (backs) for the tournament.

Squad:

Forwards: Scott Andrews (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Adam Jones (Ospreys) Paul James (Bath), Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Ryan Jones (Ospreys) Lou Reed (Blues), Ian Evans (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Blues), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Scarlets), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Andries Pretorius (Blues)

Backs: Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Alex Cuthbert (Blues), George North (Scarlets), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Lee Byrne (Clermont)

Smallville22

Snooker - Selby repels Robertson to lift third Masters crown

Mark Selby claimed his third Masters title and a £175,000 first prize with a 10-6 win over Neil Robertson at Alexandra Palace.
Selby adds to his success in snaring the invitational tournament at Wembley Arena in 2008 and 2010 while he also becomes the first man to pick up the UK Championship and the Masters - traditionally two of the more celebrated events in snooker alongside the World Championship - since Mark Williams carried them off a decade ago.
Leicester's Selby joins Cliff Thorburn, Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Paul Hunter and Ronnie O'Sullivan as the only men to win three or more Masters.
"You always get great crowds here in London, and it gets you up for it," said Selby. "I struggled yesterday. Neil had been the player of the tournament coming into the final. I knew I had to come into the match and attack to beat a player of Neil's class.
"It was nice to play well for a change, and to do it on the big stage. I'll obviously be giving it my all at the World Championship this year."
Robertson failed in his efforts to emulate Thorburn, Hendry and Hunter in becoming only the fourth man to retain the Masters, but can have few complaints about the outcome of this best-of-19 frame final despite mounting a mini-revival from trailing 8-3 to 8-6.
Selby did not finish his 6-5 semi-final win over Graeme Dott until 12.29am on Sunday morning, but his obvious vibrancy seemed to ambush Robertson's scoring game that had harvested six centuries in reaching the final.
In a week in which he was particularly hot in running in six centuries to reach the final, Australia's 2010 world champion chose the wrong day in which to freeze in a snow-laced London.
Trailing 5-3 from the opening session, Robertson - a 10-6 winner over Shaun Murphy in last year's final - could not seem to inject enough gusto into his play as Selby began on the offensive and never really relented.
Robertson had only enjoyed two wins over Selby in their 10 previous encounters so the omens were perhaps not great despite the form book suggesting otherwise.
A break of 67 saw the man from Leicester move 6-3 ahead after his opponent could only piece together eight at the outset of the frame.
Robertson jawed a tough red down a side cushion late in the 10th frame as Selby compiled 24 to the pink for a 7-3 advantage.
Robertson would not score a point in the 11th frame with a sloppy safety shot seeing Selby roll in a closing 32 for an 8-3 lead.
It was obviously imperative that Robertson managed to pick up the 12th frame for the good of his future health in the contest.
He managed the feat with a timely 74, but his situation remained parlous approaching the death throes of the match.
Robertson's state of mind improved when Selby fluked a red, but could not cash in. A missed red to the centre handed Robertson the chance of an 83 break for an 8-5 lead.
The 14th frame came down to a tense finale on the pink and black. Selby needed both to force a re-spot after Robertson narrowly failed to sink a double.
Selby missed a pink by some distance as Robertson stepped in to slot pink in earning his third straight frame to trail 8-6.
The 15th frame ran for 35 minutes. Selby could muster only 22, but was always the likelier figure.
A well executed pot on a long red to a baulk pocket followed by black paved the way for him to win the frame as Robertson failed to recover the snookers he required on the colours.
The end came when Robertson missed a red into a baulk pocket moments after returning from a comfort break.
Both men squandered chances, but Selby left Robertson needing a snooker by slotting a red via a cushion before potting the pink.
It was officially all over with a few more pots seconds later.
"Tonight Mark punished me and he was a really deserving winner," Robertson said. "I thought when I got back to 8-6, I had a chance. But it was always going to be difficult when it went to 9-6 and he finished it off like a champion."

First session report
Mark Selby showed no signs of fatigue from his elongated 6-5 semi-final win over Graeme Dott in opening up a 5-3 lead over defending champion Neil Robertson in the Masters final at Alexandra Palace.
The world number one finished off his match with Dott at 12.29am on Sunday morning, but his play was certainly not tired for large swathes of the afternoon session at the invitational tournament, an event contested by the top 16 players in the world.
Leicester's Selby appeared as fresh as the heavy snow falling outside the London venue in dominating the opening three frames.
Robertson missed a few balls that he had been potting all week, but appeared slightly unsettled as Selby meandered around the table with some purpose in running in 73 in the second frame and a 102 - his first century of the tournament - in the third to establish a 3-0 advantage.
Robertson halted the bleeding with a 78 in the third frame after winning one of those safety exchanges that he had been so keen to avoid before the final began.
He was first at the table in the fifth frame, but missing a black after slotting a long red proved a fatal error with Selby making 84 for a 4-1 lead.
The Australian continued to struggle in the sixth frame as he missed a straight blue on 45 to a centre pocket that barely seemed believable.
Selby engineered a path back into the frame before emerging successful on the colours for a 5-1 advantage.
With two frames left of the session, Robertson was staring a hefty deficit in the face before the evening play.
But it was Selby's turn to slip up in the seventh frame as a blue failed to drop to a centre pocket.
Robertson responded with 63 which was enough for his second frame of the day. Despite missing a red to a centre bag, Selby could not respond.
The 2010 world champion continued his forward momentum after Selby failed to slot another straightforward looking red in the eighth frame. Robertson pieced together 72 to leave himself only two frames adrift before they play to a finish from 8pm this evening.
Selby is chasing a third Masters title while Robertson is bidding to become only the fourth man to successfully defend the title. Cliff Thorburn, Stephen Hendry and Paul Hunter are the only players to retain the trophy.

Smallville22

Snooker - Gould beats Allen in shoot-out final

Martin Gould won £32,000 with victory over Mark Allen in the final of the Betfair Shoot Out In Blackpool.
London's 31-year-old Gould cruised to a 104-0 win over Antrim's Allen in the final of the one-frame knockout event at the Circus Arena to score the biggest pay day of his career.
Allen missed a tough red early in the final and world number 19 Gould compiled a break of 46. Allen had one more half chance but missed a long red and his opponent knocked in another 58 to win in style.
It was Gould's second triumph in a tournament with a shot clock as he also won the Power Snooker Masters in 2011. His natural fluency at the table and steady temperament make him well suited to events where time is of the essence.
Gould also thrived under the scrutiny of an often raucous crowd. The sound of Spandau's Ballet's 'Gold' - which will surely become his theme tune - rang out around the packed arena as he lifted the trophy.
"Peter Lines uses that one for his walk-on music so I'll have to try and nick it off him!" joked Gould, who also won a Players Tour Championship event earlier this season. "I couldn't have asked for a better crowd, they were on my side and I kept on winning.
"It feels fantastic. It's been a great weekend, I'm £32,000 richer and I've got a nice trophy. Winning any TV event is great, I'll have to ask Barry Hearn to use a shot clock in all tournaments, then I might have a chance of winning a ranking event! I'm one of the quicker players, I'm quick thinking and I like to get on with it. I've got a pool background where we had a shot clock so I'm used to it."
Gould, who beat Rory McLeod, Mark Joyce, Nigel Bond, Andrew Higginson and Michael Holt to reach the final, added: "I probably felt more calm in the final than any other match. The money is nice when it goes into the bank but that didn't bother me. I just had the same philosophy all the way through: if you win you win, if you lose you lose. It would be nice to get a major under my belt this season, I'll keep practising hard and doing the right things."
The tournament, now in its third year, featured 64 of the world's top players, with matches lasting a maximum of 10 minutes and a shot clock of 15 seconds for the first five minutes and 10 seconds for the last five.

Final

Martin Gould 104-0 Mark Allen

Semi-final results

Martin Gould 71-6 Michael Holt

Mark Allen 60-53 Stephen Maguire

Quarter-final results

Andrew Higginson 28-45 Martin Gould

Barry Hawkins 38-58 Stephen Maguire

Mark Allen 62-13 Kurt Maflin

Mark Williams 28-36 Michael Holt

Last 16 results

Mark Allen 92-15 Dominic Dale

Kurt Maflin 71-20 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh

Jack Lisowski 7-69 Michael Holt

Andrew Higginson 60-15 Liu Chuang

Nigel Bond 24-88 Martin Gould

Jimmy Robertson 8-106 Mark Williams

Barry Hawkins 43-39 Michael White

Dave Harold 32-1 Stephen Maguire

Smallville22

Athletics - Disabled athletes get Grand Prix series

An international grand prix series for disabled athletes will get underway in March, the International Paralympic Committee have announced.
The meetings, which will take place in Dubai, Beijing, Sao Paulo, Grosseto in Italy, Arizona and Berlin, have been described as a Paralympic version of the Diamond League.
"Should the trial be successful then we will look at how we can expand these events in 2014 and beyond," Ed Warner, chair of the IPC technical committee, said on the governing body's website (www.paralympic.org).
"These are great developments for the sport and we expect to make further announcements during the year."
The aim of the series is to build on the success of London 2012, where the profile of Paralympic sport was raised considerably.
"The announcement that athletes are going to be getting more world-class events in the coming years is a very welcome one," said Hannah Cockcroft, Britain's 100m and 200m Paralympic and world champion.
"I think the fear after London 2012 for the athletes was that there was going to be a limited amount of motivation over the next four years.
"However, the Grand Prix events and the world championships will give us plenty of chances to become the best in the world and keep the public interested in our training and achievements, allowing us to retain an elite status."

Smallville22

Woods triumphs at Torrey Pines despite wobble

Tiger Woods withstood a late wobble in strengthening winds to clinch his 75th US PGA Tour title by four shots at the fog-delayed Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines.
Six strokes in front overnight at 17 under with 11 holes to play in the final round, Woods kept his closest challengers at bay as he closed with a level-par 72 on a cold, sun-splashed afternoon.
The 14-times Major champion briefly moved eight ahead before his stumble in increasingly difficult conditions over the four-hole stretch from the 14th - bogey, double-bogey, par, bogey - but he parred the last to post a 14-under total of 274.
Defending champion Brandt Snedeker dropped one shot in the five holes he had to complete on Monday, signing off with a 69 to tie for second with fellow American Josh Teater (69).
"It got a little ugly toward the end," Woods said greenside after removing his cap and raising both arms skywards to celebrate his seventh victory at the event.
"We played nine holes in just over three hours, and three of them are par threes. I started losing my patience a little bit, and that's when I made a few mistakes.
"But all my good play before that really allowed me to afford those mistakes. I'm excited the way I played all week. I hit the ball well, pretty much did everything well this week and built myself a nice little cushion."
Woods triumphed in a third different US PGA Tour event for a seventh time, having already recorded seven wins apiece at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational and the Arnold Palmer Invitational.
His 75th career victory on the US circuit put him seven behind the record 82 piled up by Sam Snead, the only player ahead of him in the all-time standings.
"A win always makes it special," said Woods, who clinched the most recent of his 14 Majors in the 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines. "Does it feel good? Yes. Does it give me confidence? Absolutely. I'm excited about this year."
The first Monday finish in 61 editions of the Farmers Insurance Open was played at a painfully slow pace, Woods and his two partners having to wait on virtually every tee before they could proceed.
Having started the day with a commanding six-shot lead after seven holes, Woods safely parred the short eighth to maintain his advantage.
Though he pushed his drive well right of the fairway at the par-five ninth, taking a free drop after his ball ended up by a fence, he recovered well to par the hole and reach the turn in three-under 33.
Former champion Nick Watney, who had birdied the ninth to move briefly five strokes off the pace, slid backwards with bogeys at the 10th and 12th to hand Woods a seven-stroke cushion.
As the winds began to strengthen, Woods conjured a magical sand shot at the par-three 11th from an awkward stance with both feet outside a greenside bunker, his ball settling a foot from the hole for a tap-in par.
A two-putt birdie at the par-five 13th put Woods eight strokes clear but he then faltered with a bogey at the par-four 14th where he found rough off the tee and a greenside bunker with his approach.
Worse was to follow at the par-four 15th where he ran up a double-bogey after hooking his drive into a hazard via a tree and losing his ball. He missed a bogey putt from 10 feet to slide back to 15 under.
Woods also bogeyed the 17th, coming up short with a five-iron approach to end up in a greenside bunker, for his lead to be trimmed to four before he comfortably parred the last.
Watney, winner here in 2009, bogeyed four of his last nine holes for a 71 to finish in a tie for fourth at nine under with fellow American Jimmy Walker (71).
"Today was a bit rocky," said five-times US Tour champion Watney. "I don't know if it was the wind or whatever it was.
"I'm close to doing some good things, and I just want to get a little closer next time. I don't if anybody would have beaten him this week," he said of Woods. "He's definitely on his game."
Three-times champion Phil Mickelson closed with a 70 to share 51st place at level-par 288, a distant 14 strokes behind Woods.